Full-Time Nutrition Assistant
Position Summary / Career Interest:Nutrition assistants work with dietitians and nutritionists, typically in healthcare facilities, to support patient health and well-being through meal planning and proper nutrition. In this role, the nutrition assistant also tends to work directly with patients to determine their dietary and nutritional needs, along with any risk factors or dietary restrictions the patient may have. Nutrition assistants also provide support for menu development activities and observe patients for signs of malnutrition, allergic reactions, or refusal to eat.
- Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships, and technical skills.
- Demonstrates ability to provide care/service safely and efficiently for the care of each patient.
- Provides menus and communicates with patient/family about the room service process including food choices and times of service. Provides meals and snacks within the diet order, observes and documents food intake and response to care, and serves as a liaison between the patient, Food and Nutrition Department, and Nursing. Attends to all patient food needs. Accountable to ensure all patients on a physician-prescribed diet receive meals per patient needs/desires.
- Communicates all meal service related problems to Supervisor, Patient Services Manager, or Assistant Director.
- Operates the decentralized Nutrition Care Center (NCC) which involves inventorying and maintaining food and supplies and recording temperature of refrigerators and freezers, serving patient meals and nourishments, retrieving soiled trays, and cleaning/sanitizing food delivery carts and NCC area according to procedures and unit standards.
- Transports patient food carts to and from the kitchen to nursing units.
- Transports soiled carts, and empty racks for soiled trays, to and from the dishroom and nursing units.
- Works collaboratively with the nursing unit staff to complete activities within scope of practice, and communicates concerning any patient issues, concerns, or needs.
- Participates in department or unit activities to facilitate patient care and operations, e.g. quality focus teams, committees, recipe tasting, procedure or process revisions.
- Participates in all meetings and in-services as directed.
- Follows safe practices at all times. Reports accidents or unsafe conditions to Supervisor, Patient Services Manager, or Assistant Director.
- Demonstrates service recovery as needed with a positive outcome for the patient.
- Assists with on-the-job training of new employees.
- Meets all other nutrition assistant competencies (see competency checklist).
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Food service experience, particularly in hospital or long term care facility
Time Type:Full time
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
How to ApplyThis employer wants to be contacted as follows:
- Go to ipc.us/t/F89A9C21ACDC4743 to apply for this position. Follow the instructions included at the site, including how to submit an application.
139 total views, 1 today